Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blood Bond: Episode 7: The Cat's Out of the Bag

As Christmas neared, things at Xavier's cottage slowly became more interesting. From my mother's camera skills to the adults' constant attempts to set up dates between Xavier and I. Just as I was beginning to feel like a normal high-schooler again, things changed dramatically.

It happened one day during dinner.


"Hey Xavier, can you pass me the rolls?" asks Hank (Xavier's dad in case you already forgot.)

"Yeah sure. Here"

It was about a week before Christmas. We're having  filet mignon for dinner (so far we have been treated to everything from lobster to caviar. Fraya is an excellent cook.) Everything seems to be fine until my dad accidentally cuts himself.

"Ow! Ah I'm bleeding. Can someone give me a bandage?" He asks sucking his finger.

Suddenly my heart starts beating faster. 'Oh no not now!' I think, my fangs slowly growing. "Um p-please excuse me" I say standing up.

"Oh? Are you alright?" asks Fraya, looking concerned.

"Y-yeah I'm fine I'm just full is all." I push in my chair and head towards my room. Hoping that Xavier wouldn't catch on.

I reach my room just in time. Just as I'm about to bite myself though, I hear a knock on the door.


"U-um don't come in. I'm er changing." I say, thinking fast.

"It's Xavier, are you okay?" comes his voice from the other side of the door, "you don't you know... need blood do you?"

"Wh-what no not at all. I-I'm fine" I say feeling my face turn scarlet.

"Ha yeah right." He replies, "c'mon Al, you seriously think that after all this time I don't know when you're lying? "

"Fine," I sigh, opening the door.

He walks in, I close the door and turn around to see Xavier staring at my bed, his face beet red. I follow his eyes and see what he's looking at. My eyes widen and my face feels hot: There, at the foot of my bed, is my bra. 'Why the hell did I leave it there!?!' I think, running up to my bed and grabbing it. I look away from Xavier, hiding the bra behind my back and blushing furiously. "U-um s-sorry about that..." I say examining my shoelaces.

"N-no i-it's alright, I mean I'm the one who told you to let me in...." He replies, avoiding my eyes.

We stand there in an awkward silence for a few minutes, both of our faces scarlet. I glance at him out of the corner of my eye (I had placed my bra in my suitcase) and after a few seconds I realize that I'm looking at his neck. My heart starts racing again and I can feel my fangs poking my tongue. Then, as if I'm in a trance, I walk closer to him.

He looks at me, giving me his signature lopsided grin. "Alright alright," he says, moving his hair out of the way.

I lean in closer and bite him.


After what feels like only a few seconds, I hear a gasp from behind me. It's obviously not Xavier. My eyes fly open and I whip around to find that Fraya was standing in the doorway, her eyes wide.

We all just stand there for a few seconds that feel like an eternity until Xavier breaks the silence, "h-hey M-Mom..." He says awkwardly.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ALOURA WAS A VAMPIRE, XAVIER BRAYDEN KYRIU?!?!" She shouts. (I've never seen this side of her... It's kinda scary....)


"Because I was afraid that you would blow up like you are now!" He replies angrily.

"Well how do you think I feel about this?! Especially after what happened to Blake!" Then, as if someone stepped on a landmine, she starts sobbing.

"My er little brother," whispers Xavier, answering my unasked question. "Hey, it's alright Mom. I promise that Aloura's different, honest." He says going over to comfort his mother.

"B-but..." She says, making my heart skip a beat. (Would this mean that I wouldn't be able to be friends with Xavier anymore?) "W-well... A-are you sure Xavier?" She looks at him, with a surprisingly stern expression for someone who was just crying their eyes out.

"Yeah Mom, I'm sure" says Xavier, now looking at me, "Aloura is the most trustworthy person I know." This statement makes me blush again.

"Fine then," Fraya sighs, "if you really trust her then I guess it's alright." Then she looks straight at me, "just promise me won't take too much of his blood." She says looking worried.

"Wait, you would really let me you know, keep drinking his blood?" I ask, shocked.

"As long as you promise me this." She replies sternly.

"Mom," interrupts Xavier, "I'm the one who asked her to take my blood in the first place. She has never once asked me for it."

"Then why even offer?!" asks Fraya sounding exasperated

"Because I sorta figured out that she had been biting herself and I didn't want her to have to hurt herself any more." He replies making my face feel hot again.

"Alright, I'll believe you two but just please be careful." She says sounding worried. "Well I guess I'll make some hot cocoa, do you guys want some?" She asks, returning almost to her normal cheery self.

"Sure" Xavier and I reply in unison.

"Um... I'm sorry for not telling you about this sooner," I say to Fraya.

"I-it's alright... I-I can see why you would want to keep it from me." She then walked out of the room.

"Hey are you okay?" asks Xavier after a few seconds.

"Y-yeah I'm just er... Look Xavier I'm really sorry," I say feeling guilty, "and i-if you want to stop giving me blood I'll understand."

"Al, it's okay," he says, "really. It's not your fault, it's mine... Like I said, I'm the one who told you to let me in." 

"Yeah okay i-if you're sure you're alright with it."

"Um, hey Al, er h-have you told your parents that you're a vampire yet?"

"U-um no..." I say grinning sheepishly.

"Well I think that you should tell them. I mean they are your parents after all."

"Y-yeah I guess you're right." I sigh, "but well I-I'm er well kind of worried about what they'll say."

"I'll come with you for moral support." says Xavier, grinning.

"R-really?" I respond, "you don't have to if you don't want to..."

"Nah, I'll come along. Just tell me when you want to tell them."

"O-okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment